History of Vestec
The first mention of the existence of Vestec dates back to the fourteenth century. Historical sources give the first written mention of Vestec, written as "villa Beska" around 1360, in connection with the important royal castle of Kostelec n/Sázavou, to which it belonged. The local chronicler J. E. Dobiáš mentions the year 1307 in his chronicle. It is not known how he got this information, but we assume that he could have derived it from the foundation of the castle mentioned above. It is also suggested that the history of the village did not begin until the 14th century, but much earlier, as it was situated in the forests near the important trade route from Prague to Vienna and Solnohrad. It follows that any attempt to interpret the early beginnings of our village differs. Archaeological research has not been carried out in the region and we do not know much about the first settlement. Let us therefore take these facts with a grain of salt, knowing that future generations will alter or refine the historical facts we have known so far.
The history of the village was based on the fate of the royal castle Kostelec n/Sázavou, which was built at the beginning of the 14th century. On 10 January 1360, Emperor Charles IV registered this castle and the corresponding estate of ten villages, including Vestec, as a manor to Jan of Hardek, the burgrave of Magdeburg. As early as 1437, Vestec is mentioned as part of the manor of Kostelec Castle for "eternity". The possession of Kostelec Castle and thus the village changed hands in rapid succession. It is worth mentioning that from 1454 Vestec was under the administration of the municipality of the Old Town of Prague.
Further fates of Vestec are connected with the Dolní Břežany estate. After the Battle of White Mountain, the local castle, surrounding villages and manors were given as a fief to Gabriel Kryštof Želinský of Sebuzín. In 1715 František Ferdinand, Count of Küenburg, Archbishop of Prague, bought Dolní Břežany. The connection between Dolní Břežany and the Archbishopric of Prague lasted until 1945.
According to the record in the chronicle, in 1722 there were 22 buildings in Vestec and it belonged to Kouřim. The inhabitants spoke Czech and lived by farming. A steam dairy was built here between 1899 and 1914. A volunteer fire brigade was established in 1912 and the foundations of the Sokol association were laid in 1919. 298 inhabitants lived in Vestec in 1930.
After the war, Vestec gradually returned to a peaceful state and the course of life. The Revolutionary Committee dealt with municipal affairs immediately after the war. After the war mayor Mr. J. Vesely, Mr. Josef Táčner was elected mayor. Industry began to penetrate into the village, where agricultural production predominated. Apart from a few small trades (hospitality, colonials, blacksmiths, barbers, tailors, gardeners, shoemakers, stove makers), which either disappeared, reduced their activities or were nationalised after 1948, the Safina company firmly established itself in the village. On 24 November 1950, this company (processing gold and precious metals) acquired land and buildings from n. p. Paints - Varnishes and since then the concentration of operations and offices in Vestec began. During the next decades Safina (from 1958 - 1968 Kovohutě Vestec) provided employment opportunities for a large number of Vestec citizens.
The agricultural production, which was collectivized after 1948 and concentrated in the State Farms, remained linked to many Vestec citizens for a long time. In 1948 the communists came to power and some peasants even had to move out of Vestec during this dramatic period. In 1950 the village had 356 inhabitants and 98 descriptive numbers. At the eastern end of the municipality there was a barracks where the air defence troops were concentrated. During the 1970s the barracks were closed and replaced by the IKEM breeding station. In the following years, a water reservoir was built here for water from Želivka, which is a source of drinking water for Prague.
In 1983, the radio communication tower of the Czechoslovak Radio on Šátalka was demolished, which had stood there since 1953; the Czech Telecommunications Office still owns the building.
Apart from their work duties, the Vestec people were not behind in culture and social life. The Association of Volunteer Firefighters had a very good level. Cultural events, balls, exercises, competitions were organized under their name. No less important activity was also shown by sportsmen - football players of Baník Vestec and the Women's Council, from whose initiative a number of nice events were born, which were mainly dedicated to children. Compulsory school children attended the primary school in Jesenice (first grade) and then continued their attendance at the primary school in Kunratice.
In 1970, Vestec had a population of 413 and 104 census tracts.
The year 1980 marked the annexation of Vestec to the neighbouring Jesenice. It became independent again after the Velvet Revolution in 1991.
Stories from municipal history
- Story 1. Vestec football
- Story 2. Vestec trades
- Story 3. Breeders in Vestec
- Story 4. Jelinek's Garden
- Story 5. Greeks in Vestec
- Story 6. Soldiers in Vestec
- Story 7. Burning of Vestec
- Story 8. Restaurant Siesta
- Story 9. Dance ensemble Vestečan
- Story 10. MP Václav Mikuláš
- Story 11. Restaurant U Klimešů
- Story 12. Municipal well
- Story 13. Retention tank
- Story 14. Restaurant Nálevna
- Story 15. Cooperative for the introduction of electricity in Vestec
- Story 16. Vestecká pastouška
- Story 17. Winter 1929, Mardi Gras
- Story 18. Construction of the road in 1906
- Story 19. Vestecký pond
- Story 20. The Passion of God in Vestec
- Story 21. Collection for the memorial
- Story 22. May Days in Vestec
- Story 23. Šátalka - post office
- Story 24. Steam threshing set with press and exhaust in Vestec near Prague
- Story 25. Fire brigade in Vestec
- Story 26. J.E.Dobiáš - his life and the steam dairy in Vestec
- Story 27. World War I in Vestec
- Story of the 28th Election in Vestec 1919
- Story 29. Calamity winter 1969 - 1970
- Story 30th Graduation Concert of Lukáš Jindřich 2010
- Story 31. Fire in Maple Street 2009
- Story 32. Mardi Gras in Vestec